Ever wonder how so many Hollywood actors and actresses have perfect smiles? Do they all sleep with their retainer in? Is it just great genetics? While there are many paths towards a great smile, the billboard smiles that you’re used to seeing on TV and in movie theaters are often the result of veneers.
Veneers are a great way to a quick and gorgeous smile. But since the procedure is irreversible, getting veneers is a big decision. So the Mission Viejo dentist and the team at Pro Dental Health are here to help you learn about veneers and decide if they’re right for you.
What are veneers?
Veneers are porcelain pieces crafted to re-create the natural appearance and resilience of tooth enamel. Each is custom-made to fit the contours of your teeth and mouth, then stuck to your original tooth’s enamel.
Why get veneers?
Less intrusive and time-consuming than braces or crowns, veneers can close gaps, correct misalignments, brighten or whiten your teeth, and hide any chips or fractures that you might have.
How do you get veneers?
Getting veneers typically takes one to two appointments, depending on if the veneer is pre-fabricated or if it must be created in a lab. Below are the steps to getting your veneers placed.
- Typically, placing veneers does not require local anesthesia, but for sensitive patients, it can be used if needed. Your dentist will clean your teeth and pick the correct shade for the veneer. Then they’ll shave down a small amount of tooth enamel to give you room for the veneer.
- An impression of your tooth will be made and given to the laboratory so that they can place a temporary veneer on the tooth while you wait for a permanent veneer to be crafted.
- After the lab delivers your new porcelain veneer, your dentist will remove your temporary veneer and clean your tooth with pumice and water. After the veneer is etched to fit your tooth, it is thoroughly washed and dried. An adhesive is applied to the veneer, and it is placed on your tooth.
- The veneer is light-cured for about a minute on all sides of it so that it properly attaches to the tooth structure.
- If necessary, your dentist may remove excess material from the veneer and polish its margins.
Veneers are a quick, safe, and easy way to get an amazing smile. If you would like more information on the procedure, please contact Pro Health Dental today.